April 27, 2013

Insanity- Week 5 and 6 Recap!

(I think I should start calling this the bi-monthly recap instead of the weekly recap...I'll try to get better.)

This might be a long recap. The last two weeks have been long and so much has changed with Insanity. At the beginning of week 5, I read a post by Michelle Myers were she explained that she uses exercise as a way to worship. Hello, what a beautiful thing to think about. Every workout I have done since, I am trying to glorify God. He gave me this body, he gave me health, and I am going to praise him by using it. (If you haven't read her blog, do it. She is awesome!)

Week 5 was the Recovery week and you do the same workout everyday-Core Cardio & Balance. It was everything I dreamed it would be. It wasn't easy, but it was a welcome change from the same DVDs from the previous month. Monday was tough, but by Friday I could already see a definite improvement in my balance.
Week 6 is when things got real! These "max" workouts are no joke! They are longer, much more difficult and Shaun T is not quite as nice as he used to seem. =) (I worked out everyday with 2 tiny drill sergeants as well as Shaun T. The boys were very quick to let me know I didn't look like the people on TV. Thanks fellas!)

Monday- (I was supposed to do the Fit Test but I didn't...oops) Max Interval Circuit-I was excited to see a new warm-up. The first month, you do the same warm-up every day so I was loving the change....it's the little things that get me excited. Once you get past the warm-up and stretch, the workout is consists of squats, punches, punches with squats, and lots of floor work (planks, push-up, planks with punches...). It was a good wake-up call that things were a'changin in happy Insanity Land.
Tuesday- Max Interval Plyo- Lots of jumps. Lots of squats. Lots of jump squats. My quads are on fire just thinking about it!
Wednesday-Max Cardio Conditioning- I think it is the shortest DVD this month (clocking in at 45 minutes) but it seems to me the hardest. Shaun T beat me to a pulp!
Thursday- Max Recovery- I'm not sure why this workout is called "recovery". It was hard! There was some stretching but there was also 4 minutes of plie work and 4 minutes of plank work. Yikes!
Friday- Max Interval Circuit (see above)
Saturday-Max Interval Plyo (see above)

I really like this month of workouts. They are hard...but I can see how they will get results. Let's see if I still feel this way next week.

Food- After being out of town and eating lots of junk, we really got our diet back on track. It is amazing how much better we felt this week by just eating better. The boys requested pasta one night for dinner. We tried spaghetti squash instead.
Jackson loves to help cook, so he made the "noodles" out of the squash. We topped it with a little ground turkey and organic pasta sauce and it was amazing! The boys got seconds and asked for thirds. This will definitely be in the rotation for dinner!

We also have a new favorite snack around here....Peanut Butter Protein Balls. They are the perfect little "pick me up" when you need just a little something to munch on.
Here's what you'll need:
1 cup natural peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
1 scoop protein powder (We use chocolate Pure Protein Natural Whey Protein because that's what we like...but use whatever)
1 Tsp. flax seed
2/3 cup of old-fashioned oats (more or less depending on the consistency you like)
a handful (or more) of Ghiradelli 60% cacao baking chips (trust me, these are amazing!)

Mix the peanut butter and honey first. Next add the protein powder. Finally add the oats, flax seed, and chocolate. Form into balls and store in the refrigerator in an air tight container. Makes about 20 balls.

Weight- I am finally down 10 lbs. (10.4 to be exact) I'm happy with that number but what I am most excited about is how strong I feel. I am actually able to do push-ups...that would be multiple push-ups!

So there you have it. We are more than half-way done with Insanity. I am really enjoying seeing what the human body is capable of. Looking forward to a cheat meal tonight (a Haynes favorite...hot wings!) and a rest day tomorrow. It's back at it again on Monday. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. I saw a link for your blog on Runs For Cookies and I just started following on GFC. Congratulations on making it so far on Insanity. I have wanted to try the program for ages, but i probably wouldn't make it through the first week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I followed the link through Runs for Cookies to read about your Insanity experience. I am on week 2 of Insanity and the second month is really scaring me. I am not looking forward to it at all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy. The second month still scares me. Everytime I do it...I am petrified. Keep going girl. You got this!

      Delete