April 6, 2013

Answers

(*This blog may contain TMI and I feel a little vulnerable opening up like this. I wanted to document what is going on with us and be able to glorify the Lord with all he is doing and will do.)

Since this summer, I have been suffering with some pretty serious GI issues. I kept thinking things would get better, but they didn't. Things kept getting worse and worse. I was physically and mentally worn out. Eight months after my first symptoms started, I finally made a Dr. appointment. (What made me make an appointment? My husband telling me that he wasn't sure he could make it by himself if something happened to me...That tells you how serious my problems were!)

One colonoscopy, upper endoscopy, and a few biopsies later, we finally have some answers. I have severe ulcerative colitis and I am also very anemic. I have been prescribed some insanely expensive medicine for the colitis and anemia. I am also paying close attention to what I eat. My Mom read some where that oatmeal helps with colitis, so I have been choking down eating oatmeal every morning. Gag...I mean, Yum!

For the last week, I have thrown myself a pity party. I have become a "why me?" girl. I am the girl who likes to have control over everything (which is SO wrong!). I have no control over colitis and I was a little ticked off.  One morning on the way to work I had a "come to Jesus" meeting with the Father and let him know what I was thinking. I quickly repented for my stinky attitude and gave colitis to him. I realized that I can't control it, I will NEVER be able to control it, and I am going to give it to my Creator, my Heavenly Father, the Great Physician. I have relinquished all I was holding onto and I now have a peace about what is to come. No amount of worry on my part will change my future with this disease. The Lord also impressed upon me that my outcome could have been much worse that it was. I am choosing to look at colitis and be thankful (You know as thankful as one can be with a bowel disease...I need to keep some humor in the situation!)

Some of you may wonder why I am telling all of this. I want to be an encouragement. I want to be transparent in my struggles and I want to be able to bring glory to the Lord. So what's next for us? We wait. We pray. We eat oatmeal. And we wait some more. =)

1 comment:

  1. Shannon, I am really glad you decided to open up about all of this. Hopefully, you will not only have a sense of peace from being able to be open about what's going on with you, but perhaps you will also get some help. On that note, I wanted to share with you that I have heard of A LOT of people who have Celiac that develop ulcerative colitis. My aunt actually has ulcerative colitis, and we believe Celiac triggered all of her problems given her genetic predisposition. I have seen what she has been through with all of her health issues, and I know what it is to have to learn to love foods you hate!! PM me on Facebook or call me!!! If my suspicions are correct, it might be possible to completely heal and move past these symptoms. I will also be in Memphis early next month for Katie's wedding if you want to get together and talk health/food issues, and in the meantime, here are some recipes I created that helped me to love oatmeal (thought I would never say that)! http://urbanpioneerwoman.com/2011/03/21/cheap-and-healthy-breakfast/ http://urbanpioneerwoman.com/2013/03/21/dandelion-coffee-and-oatmeal/

    ReplyDelete